Coconut oil is one of many food products that have recently become popular hair products in the natural community. Several of my friends and family members use coconut oil on their hair, and they swear by it!
Personally, I’m all for using food in the hair! Natural hair appreciates products derived from natural sources, but it appreciates a natural source even more.
For example, I’ve been adding olive oil to my hair conditioner since I was in middle school! It adds moisture, shine and softness. I’ve also started using honey as a deep conditioner. All you have to do is cover your hair with honey, put on a plastic cap, wait 30 minutes, rinse and thank me later.
The coconut oil bandwagon is one that I haven’t jumped onto just yet, but I have purchased a jar for myself. Don’t get me wrong; I’ve heard nothing but good things about coconut oil. I just haven’t had the time (or the energy) to try it out.
In the meantime, I compiled a list of coconut oil uses so that when I do open the jar of magic, I’ll have a plan of action.
- Use coconut oil as a deep conditioner. Starting with clean hair, coat your hair from root to tip with coconut oil. Put on a plastic cap, and wait at least 20 minutes. Rinse, and feel the difference.
- Or, simply add a bit of coconut oil to your favorite deep conditioner for added softness and shine.
- Use coconut oil as a hot oil treatment. This site has a great video that demonstrates how to warm the oil to the perfect temperature for your scalp!
- Use coconut oil as a daily moisturizer. Just apply a small amount to your hair, starting at the ends and working your way to the roots. You can also add a bit to your favorite daily moisturizer.
- Coconut oil can be used to fight dandruff, too! Just warm the oil so that it is liquefied, put it in a squirt bottle, and apply it directly to your scalp.
- I’ve never had to deal with them, but this site says that coconut oil is also a great remedy for head lice! I’m not sure if I’ll ever need it for that purpose, but it’s still a cool fun fact.
Even though the items in the list I’ve compiled only deal with using coconut oil on hair, it is also great for dry skin and of course, for cooking with. I plan to try a few of these ideas in the near future. Please believe, I will be back here to report my results!