In the land of natural hair, “laying down the edges” seems to be a task that most of us are plagued with at some point or another.
For those of you who are unfamiliar with the term edges, a simple definition is the short, fine hair around the hairline, specifically, the hair found around the forehead. Some people refer to these shorter hairs around the hairline as “baby hair” because it tends to be softer than the rest of the hair on the head.
Though the edges are softer, they are just as curly, if not curlier than the rest of the hair. This can make taming your edges a little bit more difficult.
I have tried many products that claim to do the trick of tying down loose edges, but I admittedly have my favorites. ORS Olive Oil Edge Control Hair Gel is one of them, without a doubt.
After looking at other product reviews, I get the feeling that Edge Control has gotten a bad wrap in the natural hair community. I also gathered by reading reviews that many people aren’t using the product properly, which may account for their dissatisfaction with it.
Let me tell you how it’s done, then I’ll show you how smooth your edges can be if you use the product in the best way.
- Act normal. Before you open the jar, go ahead and apply whatever other products you will use on your hair that day.
- Add water. I always say water is one of the best moisturizers on the planet. Dampen your edges to prep for the Edge Control. This step is very important to how evenly you will be able to distribute the Edge Control.
- Only use the tips of your fingers. This is not the type of hair gel that you rub between your palms before applying. Edge Control must be applied in small amounts. You will notice that the gel is waxy, and difficult to spread anyway.
- Application. Because you dampened your edges with water, the Edge Control will loosen up and spread more evenly. Without the water, it is likely to form clumps in your hair that are hard to spread and even harder to remove.
- Brush it to finish. After the Edge Control is on your hair, use a stiff brush to direct your edges. Edge Control gives you the control to shape your baby hair however you so choose!